Intermittent wireless connection can be a real pain for those who are fully dependent on a fast Internet connection to make their real-life tasks easier. But when we talk about new extender setup, such kind of issues is quite normal. With multitude of smart devices and gadgets using WiFi connectivity, a stable wireless connection is a must-have thing. In case you are facing the same issue, look no further than our article. In this how-to tutorial, we will show you a step-by-step guide to get rid of this problem.
Before going further, we want to share some tips with you to avoid intermittent wireless connection. Let’s have a look.
- Router placement
During Netgear extender setup, don’t forget to place your router at a central location. Also, one should aware of objects that can block its signals such as concrete walls, metal appliances, refrigerators, and others. These things should not come in the path of router’s signals.
- Distance between extender and router
When you install new extender setup, the range expander and router should be placed as close as possible. The optimum distance between them should be 15-20 meters. If not, you will not be able to get fast Internet speed in every room of home or office.
- Non-wireless devices
Devices which do not come with a radio transmitter can cause interference to your router. Make sure to place it at least 3 feet away from other electronic tools. Doing so will help you get rid of intermittent wireless connection.
- Other devices on your network
Slow wireless connection during Netgear WiFi extender setup can be caused by the number of connected devices. So, in this case, it is best to disconnect some wireless devices which are not in use.
- Interfering wireless devices
There may be some devices that are not connected to your network but using radio frequency in your house or workplace. These can be anything like Bluetooth devices, baby monitors, cordless phones, etc. In this case, you can change the channel or frequency band while wireless extender setup.
- Connection between extender and router
Make sure that you have established a proper connection between extender and router. If not, use an Ethernet cable to connect them with each other. Also, you can connect both of the devices in a wireless manner.
- Check your Ethernet cable
In case you are using an Ethernet cable to make a reliable connection between the main access point or router and range expander or repeater, carefully check it. Most of the users are unaware of the fact that the cable causes three major types of issues while Netgear new WiFi range extender setup: performance issues, connectivity issues and continuity issues. So, to get rid of such issues, check if the network cable is faulty or not. If it is faulty or has any cuts in it, replace it with the new one right away.
So, these were some tips which can help you avoid slow WiFi connection issue. But if it occurs and is frustrating you, follow the steps below to chuck yourself from it:
- First and foremost, ensure that there is a proper connection between range expander and power adapter. Also, check for its power supply.
- Your device should be within the range of router. Make sure that the client device is properly connected to network of extender.
- Next, open a web browser and go to mywifiext.net.
- A web page will open in front of you. It will ask for username and password. Type the correct login details. Let us tell you that it is the same username and password you have used during WiFi range extender setup.
- In case you can’t log in to the web user interface using default details, then maybe you have changed your password. So, you have to type current password.
- Once logged in, check if your device is running the latest firmware or not. If not, you need to update the firmware as the old one can create issues with wireless connection.
- With the arrival of newest firmware, users generally get a notification for the same. You can see the notification at the top of your device’s graphic user interface (GUI). In order to upgrade the firmware, all you have to do is merely click on it.
- On the other hand, one can also click on device update page. As soon as you are on this page, click on check button to verify if the latest firmware update is available or not. For the new firmware, click on update.
- After upgrading the firmware successfully, users have to reset their device with the help of a paper clip to push factory reset button.
Now, you have to wait for a few minutes until your device boots itself perfectly. You can connect it via a wired network or wireless one. After this, configure your extender once again. Thus, you can easily fix intermittent wireless connection issues during extender setup.